How to open minds
Fixed mindsets are “bad” I am told. Their owners should be trained to open their minds. Really?
Let’s say that I have experienced a manager who has a laser like ability to uncover my shortfalls and then describe them condescendingly to all within earshot. I no longer try anything new because I am not a masochist, and the actions of my manager say “Mistakes will not be tolerated”. Is it the situation or my mind which should be changed?
So before you start solving may I ask you to do the following :
- Watch – Identify the situations when your team member is open to new ideas and when she is not – day, place, people, project…get as much detail as possible
- Change the situation where possible
- Together develop plans and actions to produce the change desired. Link to career and personal goals
- Celebrate wins
- Be realistic. Expect back tracking to occur
- Mistakes that generate new learning are assets not failures
- Keep perspective. We all lack attention at times
- Remember to constantly stress WIIFM [for your team member]
- Be unremittingly patient
Remember we become the names we are called by those whose opinion we trust – Tell her you know she is as flexible and creative as needed, but that her skills are just not strong enough… yet
Some earlier posts:
If you would like to get daily insights like this, direct to your inbox, then click here.